Palma Ceia

Southwest of downtown Tampa is the beautiful golf club community of Palma Ceia. It is bounded by Miguel Street just West of McDill Avenue and Neptune Street East of McDill Avenue. The norther edge is Bay to Bay Boulevard.

History

The first private golf and country club in the Tampa Bay area, Palma Ceia was born in 1916 during a time when the game of golf was growing rapidly and Tampa was in the midst of a real estate boom.

In 1915, the Tampa Bay Land Co., owned by James F. Taylor, began to promote Palma Ceia Park, which at that time included the area south of the club to Bay to Bay, and from Mac Dill Avenue (then called Lisbon Street) to the area west where Dale Mabry was built in the 1940's.

Taylor's idea was to offer 100 acres of a subdivision to a group of businessmen to lease for $1 per year for the golf course, with an option to purchase after 10 years for $150,000, with the club to pay the land taxes. And so, Palma Ceia Golf and Country Club became a reality under the leadership of a 10-man group: Dr. J.B. Wallace, M.G. Gibbons, S. F. Knight, James T. Swann, Dr. J. B. Farrior. (Photo and history Courtesy Palma Ceia Golf and Country Club)

Homes in Palma Ceia